12 Easy Ways to Maximize Your eBay Product Photos
It’s a fact. Clear, high-quality photos will greatly enhance your chances of selling your products on eBay. Here are 12 simple tips that will help you make the most of your eBay product photos.
1. You don’t need an expensive, high-resolution digital camera for your eBay photos. You just need a digital camera that will produce a 640x480 pixel image (which includes just about all digital cameras on the market.)
2. Before you buy a camera, handle it to feel how comfortable it is in your hands. Make sure the camera controls are logical, and that it’s easy to transfer photos from the camera to your computer. The camera should be able to focus within four inches or less.
3. When taking a photo for your eBay product, generally select the camera’s smallest photo size. If you are going to crop the image or upload it to eBay's picture services, however, select at least a 1024 x 768 image size.
4. Disable your camera’s built-in flash when taking a photo. The built-in flash produces a glare on the photo and makes your products look two-dimensional.
5. Use your camera’s “Macro Focus” feature to take close-ups of your product. (“Macro Focus” is usually indicated by a tulip flower symbol.)
6. The key to effective product photography is lighting, and the key to effective lighting is control. You can control the strength, size, position, color and number of lights you use. And each of these controls changes how the subject looks. Review your camera’s manual to understand your camera’s “white balance” symbols ( i.e. a light bulb for indoor shots with incandescent lights, a sun symbol for outdoor photos, etc.) You’ll use the white balance control to get accurate colors. You can preset the white balance to match the type of light you're using (daylight, shade, tungsten, fluorescent).
7. Use the “Exposure Control” (EV) to correct light and dark photos. A plus number lightens the image, a minus number darkens it.
8. Use a tripod when taking pictures of your product. The tripod stabilizes your camera and eliminates blurry photos.
9. Photograph your products at an angle.